Eric Cassidy is recognized by Thomson Reuters as a litigator in the top 5% of business trial lawyers in Houston. Eric’s legal practice focuses on trying complex commercial cases, for big and small clients, both in court and arbitration. He has a proven track record of success.
Eric began his career by trying traditional oil and gas and commercial cases for a prestigious boutique law firm. Eric aggressively prepares each case for trial to a verdict or award. This approach adds value by streamlining costs and often forcing the opposition to reach a business solution or settlement to avoid an adverse result.
Eric has years of experience in commercial litigation, royalty cases, fraud and white-collar defense, domestic and international arbitration, trade secret litigation and internal investigations, and qui tam cases. As a first chair trial lawyer, Eric has represented energy companies, software companies, oil and gas clients, executives, and businesses in nearly every kind of commercial case. No two clients are the same, and no two cases are the same. Eric’s history and experience make him uniquely qualified to resolve his client’s legal needs.
Eric’s international experience includes representing a Mexico-U.S. joint venture in a multimillion dollar International Chamber of Commerce arbitration heard in Mexico City; state and federal court litigation involving cross-border legal issues related to Texas, Brazil, and China; and white-collar investigations and defense centered on allegations of corruption, fraud, and money laundering.
Known as a smart, aggressive trial lawyer, Eric is active in local, national, and international legal communities. He has held leadership positions in multiple legal foundations and is a graduate of the prestigious Leadership Houston program. Eric was elected by his peers to chair the Houston Bar Association’s oil and gas section, he serves in a leadership role for the international section of the State Bar of Texas, and he is a Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation.
Eric’s career includes being elected as a partner in a national AmLaw 100 firm, Squire Patton Boggs, with more than 1,800 attorneys. He later was a partner in a boutique law firm, Berg & Androphy, with offices in Houston and New York, which focused on commercial and white-collar trials.
He is a graduate of the University of Texas School of Law, where he was selected to the Order of Barristers, an honor recognizing the Top 10 oral advocates in a class of more than 400 students. Eric’s international background includes receiving a Master of Arts from Warwick University, England, in Philosophy and Literature. He graduated with a degree in Justice, Morality, and Constitutional Democracy from James Madison College, Michigan State University. Prior to law school, Eric was a Fellow at the Coro Foundation for Public Affairs.
- Successfully representing a software company in a breach of contract and fraud case in Texas and Brazil resulting in a multimilion dollar settlement for the client on the courthouse steps.
- Representing an energy services supplier in a multimillion dollar UCC, breach of contract, and fraud case in Texas and China.
- Advising cryptocurrency clients on white collar and money laundering issues.
- Representing the American subsidiary of an international oil company relating to Russian and Ukrainian sanctions imposed by the U.S. government.
- Representing successfully a cross-border joint venture owner of a multimillion-dollar pipeline and terminal facility in an international arbitration before the International Chamber of Commerce.
- Representing a US company as defendant in an international arbitration before the Beijing Arbitration Commission.
- Representing the owner of a bio-diesel business in a trade secret and employment agreement dispute in an expedited bench trial on the merits resulting in a verdict and take-nothing judgment for the client.
- Representing the owner of a refinery waste storage facility in a jury trial against a general contractor resulting in a $1.7 million-dollar verdict for the client on the merits.
- Representing a national brokerage firm in federal court subprime securities litigation at a bench trial involving allegations of more than US$10 million in losses, resulting in summary judgment for the client.
- Representing a claimant in a False Claims Act case involving allegations of Medicare and Medicaid fraud.
- Representing a high net-worth individual as the plaintiff in a financial fraud and civil RICO claim in federal court litigation in Texas, Florida, and Kentucky.
- Representing minority partners in shareholder and breach of fiduciary duty litigation involving more than US$15 million in Texas and New York.
Associations & Honors
- Texas Super Lawyer (Selected), Thomson Reuters, 2017
- Houston Bar Association, Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Section, Chair, 2017 – 2018
- America’s Top 100 White Collar Criminal Defense Attorneys, Texas (Selected), Americas’ Top 100, LLC, 2018
- Treasurer, Elected to Leadership, State Bar of Texas International Law Section, 2017
- Committee Member, AIPN Model Contracts, Revision of 2004 Dispute Resolution Agreement, 2015
- State Bar of Texas, International Law Section, Council, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Houston Committee on Foreign Relations, Member, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Charter Member, State Bar Human Rights Committee, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Houston Bar Association, International Law Section, Chair, 2015-2016, 2013-2014
- Houston Young Lawyers Foundation, Chair 2015-2016, Trustee 2013-2015
- Fellow, State Bar of Texas Foundation
- Fellow, Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators, Member
- Energy Bar Association, Member
- Leadership Houston, Class XXXIII
- Coro Foundation for Public Affairs, Fellow
- State Bar of Texas, Pro Bono College
J.D., University of Texas Law School, 2001 Order of Barristers
Notes & Reviews Editor, American Journal of Criminal Law
M.A., University of Warwick (England), 1993
B.A., Michigan State University, James Madison College, 1990
U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
Contact us for a free initial consultation
- Houston Bar Association Oil & Gas Section, Panel on In-House Energy Counsel, October 2017
- Speaker and Panelist, Legal Updates and Opinions on Development Efforts in Latin American and Cross-National Regulatory Affairs, Latin American Business Forum, Houston, Texas, May 16, 2017
- Speaker and Panelist, The Do-Over: Gas Price Revision Arbitration—What We have Learned, International Centre for Dispute Resolution Conference on Arbitrating Complex Disputes in the Global Energy Sector, April 20, 2017.
- Speaker, with Joel Androphy, Defending Clients in International Civil and Criminal Matters, State Bar of Texas, Annual Institute, February 24, 2017.
- Speaker, Update on International Oil & Gas Litigation, Houston Bar Association, Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Section, November 16, 2016.
- Speaker, Litigation Strategies for the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, State Bar of Texas, International Law Section, St. Mary’s University School of Law, March 30, 2016.
- Speaker, Litigating International Regulatory Conflicts, State Bar of Texas, International Law Section, University of Texas Law School, February 12, 2016.
- Speaker, Enforcement and Trial of a Foreign Corrupt Practices Act Case, State Bar of Texas, International Law Section, Dedman School of Law, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas, October 29, 2015.
- Speaker, Enforcement and Trial of a FCPA Case, State Bar of Texas, International Law Section, SMU Dedman School of Law, October 16, 2015.
- Moderator, Mexican Energy Litigation, Association of International Petroleum Engineers, Spring Conference, Austin, Texas, 2015.
- Speaker, International Energy Dispute Resolution, Houston Bar Association, Oil & Gas Section, 2014.
- Speaker, Mexican Energy Reform, Energy C.F.O. Roundtable, 2014.
- Speaker, Strategic Developments in International Arbitration, Houston Bar Association, Corporate Counsel Section, 2014.
- Moderator, Project Development Risks for Oil and Gas Companies, Association of International Petroleum Engineers, Spring Conference, New York, 2014.
- Moderator, Energy and Constitutional Reform in Mexico, Association of International Petroleum Engineers, Spring Conference, New York, 2014.
- Moderator, General Counsel Roundtable on International Energy, Houston Bar Association, International Law Section, 2014.
- Speaker, Arbitration on Trial: Is It Time to Return Energy Disputes to the Courtroom?, Association of International Petroleum Engineers, Houston, 2014.
- Moderator, General Counsel Roundtable, Houston Bar Association, Corporate Counsel Section, 2014
- Speaker, International Arbitration, Houston Bar Association, Oil & Gas Section, 2013.